Maxi Designs ~ Handmade

Maxi Designs ~ Handmade

I have a passion not only for writing, but for designing and creating items by hand. I'm professional trained as an Interior designer FdA with Distinction. My other strengths are in the needle work area, which I'm fine tuning with a seamstress course at present. But I also like working with beads, Jewellery making, drawing, and in I love particularly making my own gifts.

Anyone who knows me personally, will know that I've always got a design project of some sort in the making!

And for the first time, I'm going to share some of these projects with you..... it's very nerve raking, because it's quite a personal thing, an item you've made by your own hand. But I hope you enjoy seeing them, half as much as, I've enjoyed making them!

I thought also, I would do some design mood boards too. Of styles, designs or even unusual designs or items, which have inspired me. And maybe they will inspire you along the way too...

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Patchwork Quilt



My First Patchwork Quilt.





Hello, I hope you have had a good week?  

Here in England, we've been experiencing a bit of a heat wave.  Which I have to admit, I've quite enjoyed, that is, so long as I'm not stuck outside in the heat.  

Now I've been making, and designing things, for most of my life, but some projects I've never tried before... for instance, making a patchwork quilt!  

During this Handmade blog journey, I'm going to be trying out new projects, and designs, just for fun!




I saw these fabulous squares, about christmas time, last year, then sewed them together..... then they just sat there, in my draw!  And you know how it is, life gets in the way, and they soon got forgotten.  

I honestly don't know why, but on thursday last week, I felt inspired to finish the job.......  I mention this, because, it was one of the hottest days of the year, and I'm making a blanket, with said blanket over me, most of the day, as I'm sewing it all together.  Honestly! Maybe that wasn't the wisest of moves I could have made, I was melting under that thing!  But I had great fun making it, and can't wait to start the next one.   

Lucky I already had red fabric for the edging, and trim, and also some wadding, but as you can see, I've only got a half size sewing machine.  Normally I would do everything by hand, and to be honest, this was my largest in size project to day.  But I managed very well.  Which goes to show, you don't need the high tech stuff, to complete the job! 




Here you can see the different layers, the front all sewn together, then the wadding, and then the backing.  I just used a simple white, I thought it contrasted the best.  I used safety pins to hold it all together, dress making pins, I felt wouldn't hold it securely enough in place for me.




I kept the quilting sewing design simple, by just sewing along the lines already on the quilt.  Joining all three materials together, forming the quilt. 




So once that was all done, next I needed to trim off any extra backing, or wadding.  It's always best to measure over with these, just in case. 

Heres the nearly completed front and back of my quilt, just the trim to add now...




You can really see the sewing lines now.




Then for the finished trim, I used the red fabric again...  And Wallah.....  My first completed patchwork quilt.  I'm very pleased with it. 




I've used my sons quest bed as a model, so you can see the actual size.  I think a lovely size for snuggling up in when reading, or watching t.v on those cold nights...... which of course are not happening in a heat wave! lol But soon I'm sure! lol 






Thank you for joining me, and maybe I've inspired you to have a go yourself?  If so, good luck. xxx 


  








No comments:

Post a Comment